Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mommy and Her Boys


Greetings all! I thought that it was high time to post a current family photo, so this is us at the Calgary Zoo in May. The boys just love that zoo, everytime we're in town, they loudly clamour to go there.
Growing up in a family in which the first twelve years of my life were devoid of males (except for Daddy of course), I guess that I always assumed that I would have little girls too. When I was pregnant with Ben and found out that we were having a boy, I paniced. What was I going to do with him?! I knew girls, but my knowledge of boys was shaky at best! Luckily, having Peter as a little brother, and having a husband with a good sense of humour has definently helped me to understand the male mind-a little.
Once Ben was born, I started to learn, and fast! Mostly, I just had to keep up with him. My Ben has always been the personification of perpetual motion. He loves to run, climb, jump, anything that involves movement! When Brigham arrived on the scene our family became even more entrenched in little boydom. He's quieter, but no less enthusisatic about the things he loves. Brigham can quite happily watch passing traffic for hours, and adores keeping up with his big brother.
With two boys about, it didn't take long to learn that if something has wheels it'll be a big hit (even if I can't see the appeal). All sticks are either a sword or gun (or sometimes both), and both our home and neighbourhood are apparantly infested with monsters, dragons and bad guys. It's a good thing that my little knights are such staunch defenders, or I might not just get through the day without being eaten alive, and lose a lot more tickle fights than I already do!
People often ask me if I wish for a girl, but frankly I'm having too much fun with my boys to think about something I don't even have. We read together, my kitchen walls are often plastered by their artwork, go exploring, and tackle Daddy when he comes home. Life is good.

2 comments:

reddy said...

Even so, I'd like to see how Ben and Brigs would respond to a little sister. Would she be the princess or a bother?

2x2momma said...

I absolutely adore my boys too! Yeay for boys!