Monday, June 1, 2009

Life in the Bush

To be honest, when I first learned that we'd be moving up North to Slave Lake, I figured that we'd do out time and come back South ASAP. Of course, that's before I actually saw Slave Lake. When I did, I fell in love. It is just so beautiful up here! It was nice in the winter, but now that it is summer even more so.
When I took speech lessons I learned this poem called "Going up North" about the remote beauty of the North. At long last I think I understand what the poet was talking about.We're surrounded by the woods, and I love taking the boys tramping through them. There's wild raspberries everywhere, and apparantly a plethora of saskatoons, blueberries and canberries too. You just have to watch out for the bears when you go to pick them! The woods are right by our new place, and you can hear the frogs talking to each other throughout the day. On our last jaunt through the woods we discovered lots and lots of ferns popping up. Both Ben and Brigham love exploring in the woods, and finding sticks. I just love watching them playing and discovering new things.
Then there's the beach. Slave Lake is so huge that you can't see the other side, and its remote, untouched beauty is incredible. Ben is pestering me every day to go back to the lake. He loves building sandcastles while Brigham gets a big kick out of running into the water and being chased by the waves. He always giggles with delight over it all. Seeing as fishing is so good and popular around here, we've promised the boys that we'll go this summer (Ben has decided that he wants to catch a shark). I foresee that we'll be spending at least half of our time at the beach this summer.
Now that we're here in Slave Lake I don't want to leave. I just love it here! Every time we drive out, it's never long before I think (yet again) "WOW! It's just so beautiful here!" There's camping, berrypicking, beaching, hiking, and fishing all just minutes away from home. Life in the bush is good, and this life time city girl has gone small town.

2 comments:

reddy said...

You have gone so small town. So small town you complain about Calgary roads.

Tell Ben it would be better if he caught a swordfish. They taste better then sharks.

Katey said...

Well, even if you can't admit it Nenz, Clagary's roads ARE awful!