Thursday, June 4, 2009

Book of the Week

With hot summer days here at last it is time for some good summer reads. You know what I mean, books you take along to the beach, on a road trip, or just savour in the shade of the backyard. Summer reads aren't intellectually stimulating, they're just sheer fun. Add these to your must-read list.

Best Buds
Yesterday I just finished the most wonderful book. I think that I'll have to add it to my list of all-time favourites, and buy myself a copy of my own.It was one of those novels that make you laugh and cry, and was one of those reads that I didn't want to end because I was enjoying it so much. Obviously I love sharing a good read, but this time I'm getting bossy: READ THIS ONE EVERYBODY! "Last Days of Summer" by Steve Kluger is an epistolatory novel set in Brooklyn in the early 1940s. When Joey Margolis decides that his favourite baseball player and hero Charlie Banks needs to take him on a road trip, he goes to more and more elaborate lengths to grab his attention (much to Charlie's annoyance). This is not a baseball book -a sport in which I practically know nothing about-but one of a remarkable friendship that grows between a hotshot athelete and one devious kid, who have more in common than you would originally think. Seriously, you will be missing out on a splendid book if you don't read this one.

Family Fun
"The Party" by Barbara Reid was one of those books that I'd consistently seen at the bookstore for years (usually prominantly displayed) which I never paid attention to until a friend shared it with me. Since then I have become a huge fan of Barbara Reid's books, as they are all delightful. "The Party" appeals to me for many reasons: 1. It's rhyming text has a lilt and fun beat that are hard to forget, 2.the plasticine illustrations should definently qualify as amazing art and 3. the story reminds me of practically every Young family get together I have ever been to in my entire like. Great fun to read any time, but especially if you're going to a family reunion sometime this summer. I dare you not to enjoy this one.

Happy reading all!

No comments: