Friday, June 12, 2009

Book of the Week

Gather round book lovers for yet another opinionated and passioante book review.

Toothsome Treats
This week I indulged in one of my favorite treats: a new book. Normally, Jason says that I have too many cookbooks (which is most likely true) but when he's flipping through pages just as eagerly as I am and it's HIS idea we buy it-well, I don't protest too much. "Martha Stewart's Cupcakes; 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's favorite Treat" is rather a mouthful of a title, but pursuing the pages will make your mouth water. Like most of her books, there's clear instructions and great pictures for every recipe. Every time I leaf through this one makes me want to rush to my kitchen and whip up a batch of tiny cakes. But which ones? Do I go for the S'mores cupcakes? Black Forest? Cookies and Cream Cheesecakes, Triple Citrus or Chocolate Caramel minis? Talk about a culinary dilema! Needless to say, cupcakes will be making a more regular appearance at our place over the next few months.

Not Your Regular Hoedown
Sandra Boynton is a genius. Her board books really made peole realize the potential that this genre could have. Bid banal boardbooks goodbye forever! Her best one (though they're all fabulous) is "Barnyard Dance". Just the swing of the rhymes makes you want to read the book out like a caller at a square dance, clap in time to the beat and tap your foot. Plus these barnyard critters are so endearingly funny, from the surprised looking chicken being spun by a cow to the not-so-easily impressed donkey. With this one, who wouldn't want to "trot with the turkey leap with the frog [and] take another turn with the barnyard dog"? Don't miss the fun with this shindig and come join the fun!

2 comments:

reddy said...

The triple citrus. You can even use my kitchen to make them.

Katey said...

Why not come and visit us in Slave Lake? I'll make the triple Citrus especially for the occassion.