Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Dreaming

I have been craving the color green of late. I want warm weather, puddles blossoming everywhere, and the world in general to be "mud-licious". I am currently staying at the Skinners tonight as I wend the long way back home from a visit to Cardston. Originally, the trip to see Grandma and Grandpa Redd was to take place in January, but due to inclement weather, we postponed the trip until spring when it would be much warmer. Oh the irony!
I seemed to be racing a snowstorm all the way down to Cardston. I stopped along the way in Edmonton, and Calgary to see family. It was the same everywhere we've gone this week; it had been nice, but shortly upon our arrival it turned chilly. Followed by snow. It didn't even seem remotely springlike in Cardston. My potential for being a winter jinx seems possible.
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy winter, but by the end of March I am fed up with it. want to start working in my garden, and splashing in puddles. Instead of the bleak drearyness of white etched across the landscape, I'm longing to see the light green haze encircle the trees like some gauzy veil as their buds begin to grow.
The "official" day of spring has always seemed like a cruel joke to me...up here in Canada we know that in regards to winter it ain't over yet. But hope springs eternal (no pun intended). There are tantalizing signs that spring may fianlly arrive, such as that it isn't as dark anymore, I actually spotted a robin for the first time in months, and the chocolate bunnies must have been bredding up a storm, as they seem to have infiltrated any and every grocerystore near you. These signs make me very hopeful indeed.
So while I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring (and the death of winter) I plan to unpack the rainboots, start plotting out my garden, and eating some of those chocolate rabbits before we are completly overrun by them.

1 comment:

2x2momma said...

Ah yes, the endless Alberta winter. Hang in there Kate, what do they say? Spring is just around the corner...