Tuesday, March 24, 2009

More Good Reads

As I'm sure you've already noticed, I am quite evangelical when it comes to good books. But hey, why waste you time sorting through the drivel when others can help you find a good read that much faster? Here's my picks for this week.

Punctuation Perfection:
For all of you vigilantes, stickers, and for everybody else I recommend "Eats Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. I grudgingly started this one (aka Jaima forced it upon me), but it didn't take long to love it. It is about punctuation of all things, but it's witty, hilarious, and as an added bonus leaves you feeling oh so very clever! This book left me confident about punctuation, and ever vigilant for faulty examples which suddenly seemed to appear all over the place. Who knew that punctuation could be so fun? Not to mention given to violence now and then? Syntax is dramatically changed, all by the simple location of where you but your dots and dashes. Consider the following examples:
"A woman; without her man is nothing." OR "A woman, without her man, is nothing."
Enjoy!

A New Hero On the Block:
For anyone with a budding superhero, "Traction Man is Here!" by Mini Cooper is a real treat. To those of you who have already heard me burble enthusiastically about this one already, I make no excuse. If you had read it you would understand! This has become one of my all-time favourite picture books. It follows the adventures of the action figure Traction Man as he battles the evil pillows, guards the breakfast toast and fights the poisonous dishcloth. But will our brave hero be undone by the knitted green romper suit and matching bonnet, lovingly knit by Granny? Who will prevail?
Check it out, it's great fun.

No comments: