Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Book of the Week

Okay, so after my last blog I really have gardens on the brain, more so than ever. In keeping with my latest obsession, here's some green reads. One for the grownups and one for the kids.

Keeping It Fun:
Do not miss out on this one! I just love Sharon Lovejoy's book "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots". While it's written on how to keep gardening fun for kids,and how to get them involved, it is the most fun and one of the most informative books on gardening I've ever found. She explains things simply, like how to tell if your soil is acidic or starting compost. But the real reason why I love this book is that it's just sheer delight! The book is chock full of whimsical and imaginative gardening ideas to inspire gardeners of any age, and the projects are actually doable for the novice. While some of her garden designs take up more space then many of us have, they're adaptable, and her container ideas are equally enchanting. Personally, this year I'm planting her sunflower playhouse so that the boys have a place of their own to play in the garden. Others include the bean tunnel, the tepee of gourds, and the flower maze. She has great tips and activities to help kids explore and enjoy their gardens, and Lovejoy's beautiful watercolour illustrations make the book fun to read even if you don't have so much as a balcony to grow things. I should know- I signed this book out of the library so many times when we lived in a basement apartment that I finally just bought my own copy!

A Kid's Classic:
It's sad that so many people are unacquainted with classic children's literature. These days most people seem to content themselfves with the Hollywoodized version. What a pity. They don't know what they're missing, especially as Hollywood has a tendency to change, ater down or even politicize the story. What's wrong with keeping true to a story when adapting it onto the screen? I say there's a reason that some books continue to be loved by generations. But I digress.
One such book is "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I've loved this one since I was a kid, and even now I like to reread it every spring. This story has great appeal for kids; orphans, mystery, engaging characters I confess that one of my favourites is the robin!) and wonderful plot. "The Secret Garden" can be enjoyed by adults too. I remember how much Mum loved reading this one to us as kids. If you can, try to find the version illustrated by Tasha Tudor. Her iluustrations of this story are the best I've ever found.

Happy reading everybody!

No comments: