Monday, March 23, 2009

German Goodies

So after a prolonged drive (due to storm warnings), the munchkins and I have arrived here in Calgary for a few days. The reason: I'm overdue for a dental check-up. As much as I love my Dad, I must admit that there are many other places that I'd rather visit with him other than in the dental chair at his office. 
Admist the ensuing whirlwind that inevitably ensues whenever I come into town, there is always one place that I love to go. No visit to Calgary is complete without a quick stop to the German deli. Since having lived in Germany as an exchange student, my heart has always owned up to two nationalities instead of just one. I first discovered the deli shortly after coming back to Canada from living in Germany and was getting a little homesick. It's a piece of Germany tucked into NW Calgary, and I've loved it ever since.
Nenz and I went this afternoon. Now that I live in a small town where our store selection is quite limited, I enjoy availing myself of the plethora that the city holds anytime I'm here. Anyways, I got to hear people speaking German (a rarity  in Northern Alberta), and but myself some European goodies. The Germans have the right idea about a few things.While nothing on this list is exclusively German, and most originate from other countries, I first really encountered these quality foods in Nuremburg. I've never looked back since, and while I can't always find specific types or brands of these foods at my local grocerystore, the deli will.Here's a list of some of my edible, deli favorites;

-Bread. Forget the stuff they stock at grocery stores here, it's utterly flavorless and has no real texture. Blech. I indulged in some real bread. Challah, a rich egg bread that's braided and garnished with poppy seeds. Beats the snot out of Wonderbread.

-Cheese. When Johanna, my exchange partner, was living with us she one looked at the block of cheddar in the firdge and asked quizzically "Do you have other kinds here in Canada?" Although, yes we do, cheddar's more tasty friends and relations aren't nearly as widespread. Happily, such delights such as smoked gouda, munter, and havarti can be found. What makes it tricky is that often I find they just come packed in groups of a mere few slices or so, not a good wedge of the stuff.

- Gummy bears. The German ones  require more chewing, but they actually come in discernible flavours. Anytime we go to the deli, neither Jason nor I can pass up these little critters.

-Chocolate. My German family the Hammersens had a big drawer in their kitchen filled with chocolate-not the melted down crayons that they try to pass off for chocolate around here- but the real thing for us to nibble whenever we were hungry (I did really like that chocolate drawer!). Big slabs of rich, delectable chocolatey goodness. Luckily for us here in North America, we seem to be coming to our senses about quality over quantity. Lindt chocolate can easily be found here these days, much to my delight!

After some happy shopping, Nenz and I left the store with a bulging bag of German goodies. I even got a bag of gummybears for Jason. I've tucked them into my purse for safe keeping, but they may not survive the trip back home, they are very tasty...

2 comments:

Jason said...

You leave my Haribo alone!!

The Gibb Family said...

MMMM....I am hungry now for some gummy bears! I LOVE those things! Good to hear you made it to Calgary safely!