Sunday, November 1, 2009

Book of the Week

In light of the recent holiday, here's a little fanciful frivolity to add to you reading list.

Flights of Fancy:
If you're looking for a book that is the feast for the eyes (I know that I will never outgrow my love for picture books) look no further than "Fairie-ality" by the House of Ellwand. The book reminds me of a witch catalogue I drew up with a childhood friend, except this is for fairies, and much more exceptional than our youthful sketches. It is a fashion magazine for the winged folk, with sumptuous gowns and ensembles. Each piece is crafted with things found in nature; flowers, feathers, leaves, and the like. It is a beautiful book, and a delight to pour over.

Witchy Wickedness:
She's Heckedy Peg, she's lost her leg, and she wants to be let in! Beware this nasty witch, "Heckedy Peg" by Don and Audrey Wood. When their mother goes out, her seven children (all named for a day of the week) are lured to let in this evil witch, which naturally leads to trouble and immenent disaster. Can their mother outwit the old hag and save her children before it's too late? A wonderfully satisfying, absolutely scrumptious book.

1 comment:

Jaima said...

I love Heckety Peg! So do my kids. Especially when I read with my Heckety Peg voice.