Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dating: Then and Now

This past weekend we went to visit my family in Calgary. While we were there, it was the annual big Preference Dance in the LDSSA for my two single sisters. Being the formal dance where it's girls' choice, this date usually is a big event.
By the time we arrived, both Neen and Nenie (aka Janine and Elena) were starting to get a little stressed about getting ready, plus looking more than usually gorgeous in less than about an hour! It brought back memories of when I used to go to preference...and how my own sisters were always ready and willing to help me out. I was more than happy to be on the giving rather than the receiving end this time -it was quite fun really. I admired outfits and hairdos, rolled out pizza dough, and soothed soothed ruffled feathers when they got a bit stressed out. They went to a lot of effort to make a fun evening for that group date! Later that night, as I heard them all laughing as they made pizza, decorated cupcakes, and played games before going to the dance I had to smile at hearing how much fun they were having.
In retrospect of my own Preference and dating days, there are very few specifics that I remember. Names, faces, and activities have become blurred. While some particularly significant dates will always be remembered, what has become a treasured memory for me is the fun of getting ready for a date. My four sisters were always there to lend a hand, making the process of getting ready for the date a treasured memory.
The family tradition of helping each other getting ready and going on a date continues; not only did I help my sisters, but my brother helped me too. While Peter took his nephews to a movie, my husband and I got to go out on an actual date-a wonderful treat when you're married with kids. Dating your spouse is trickier than when you're single. Although creativity is appreciated when single, especially for preference, that and ingenuity are absolutely essential for dating your spouse!
We had a marvelous night out together, discovering the most scrumptious of Italian restaurants. It was one of those wonderful moments when I was reminded yet again of things I love about my husband. Thanks to all my family who helped to make it a reality that night.
Did I ever tell you that Jason was originally the best Preference date I ever had?

1 comment:

Eileen Young said...

I'm glad Jason was your favorite Preference date 'cause we think you hit the jackpot
Love to all
Grannie