Sunday, November 8, 2009

Book of the Week

Ever heard of alliteracy? This rising menace is the growing population that knows how to read, but doesn't. This is a great shame as reading improves us in so many ways that whenever I read studies of reading's benefits, I wonder why wouldn't you want to read? Here's some picks for your consideration. For grownup reads this month I'm suggesting some of my favourite cozy reads to snuggle up with as the weather gets cooler. For kids, a few reads that celebrate the coming of the snow.

Reading Too Many Novels:
If such a thing is possible, than I am ceratinly guilty of it, as is Katherine Noland from "Northanger Abbey"-the Jane Austen heroine that I most readily identify with. On an exciting trip to the glittering social world of Bath, Katherine's naivety and wild imagination get her into many a scrape. Although life is not nearly as dramatic as the gothic novels she devours, it does still have its fair share of villains and buffoons to avoid if you hope to live happily ever after.

A Winter Romp:
I adore Uri Shulevitz's book "Snow", especially this time of year. While the rest of the city dismisses the first snowflake, a little boy and his dog happily insists that yes, it is too snowing and that they are going to enjoy it (even if no one else will!) The result is a magical romp through the city landscape as it becomes whiter and whiter. To read it is to love it.

Happy reading everybody!

1 comment:

Jaima said...

Love Northanger Abbey, but I thought her name was Moreland? Have you seen the recent TV adaptation? It's good.