Friday, August 7, 2009

Book of the Week

Last night I realized that my home library has a shocking lack of paperbacks. Normally, I prefer to buy books that I adore- hence I prefer to buy them in the sturdier form of hardback- but paperbacks do have dvantages in reading them in places where a hardback would never dare to venture. The beach or the bathtub being among them. Any suggestions for titles?
Here's some suggestions for you all.

Art Out the Whazoo:
I'm a big fan of Eric Carle's books. I loved them as a kid, and I still enjoy them now which is why I enjoyed the book "The Art of Eric Carle" so much. It is a great art book, chock full not only of his beautiful illustrations, but his fascinating autobiography as well. Did you know that though born in America, his family moved back to Germany-just in time for World War two? Or that his art teacher, seeing his talent, risked his own life to show him modern art banned by the Nazi regime? It's a great read. Plus, he explains his technique for his unique art, which makes a great activity to do with kids.

Bedtime Blues:
For my kid pick, this month I'll be talking about a certain theme of kid's book: stories relating to bedtime. One I just love is "Hush Little Dragon" by Boni Ashburn. Written in the style of the lullaby "Hush Little Baby" a momma dragon sings to her baby of all the wonderful treats she will get him. From three musketeers to a mean old queen, this mom goes to great lengths for her little darling! This one excels in my criteria; well-written text, great illustrations that enhance the story, my boys always clamour to read it again, and I can stand reading it multiple times. Enjoy with your own little bedtime dragons.

Happy Reading all!

3 comments:

reddy said...

I'm reading North and South in paperback right now. It's pretty easy to take to the river and read on the train. I generally find that books that are thick enough are pretty sturdy in paperback/

2x2momma said...

We just hit the library for the first time last week, inspired by your reading lists! We were too frenzied to find much, but hopefully next time we'll hit some of your favs.

Jaima said...

Fascinating info about Eric Carle- sounds like a good read.