Monday, April 27, 2009

Life is Waiting...

This morning I was struck by how much I am actually waiting for these days. I am waiting for Brigham to be ready for potty training (with bated breath), waiting/trying for my work to be published, waiting for tomorrow so that I can call my sister Janine who comes home from her mission today (YAY!), waiting for that darn rototiller to be fixed so that I can start my garden,waiting to see if the school will renew Jason's teaching contract for next year and waiting to hear back from our hopefully new landlords about viewing the townhouses across the street.
It doesn't seem to matter what is going on in life, you're always waiting for something. This used to drive me nuts. As a general rule I hate uncertainty, but last summer I resolved to at least not stress about it anymore. Considering the alternative-going stark raving mad-trying to keep my cool seemed much more appealing.
The thing is that if a great part of my life will be waiting for something, I don't want to be waiting around to be happy. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking "Oh, after this happens then life will really begin. Until then I just have to survive and sit tight." It's like spending you're life asking the annoying road trip question of "Are we there yet?" while not enjoying the ride that's taking you there.
My Dad is a good example of this. Road trips with him can be interesting because he will often pull over to stop and do something (unless he wants to make good time to the mountains so he can go skiing!). I hated this as a kid, because I would often just want to get there, but Dad's spontanious side trips would often lead to fun; picking huge blackberries off the side of the highway, exploring an orange orchard, or hiking a short mountain trail. Those made for fun memories later on.
I guess that this is more deep than my usual posts on here, but heck! Life is calling, what are ya gonna do while you're waiting?

3 comments:

B.E.A.T.L.E. said...

Amen to that sister! We've done a lot of waiting in out lives too. As Harold Hill said in music man "you spend you life building up tomorrows you'll find yourself with a bunch of empty yesterdays" or something like that.

Katey said...

The quote sounds good to me, but if we really want to verify accuracy, ask Elena. Even years after being in that musical she can still quote it at the drop of a hat!

reddy said...

Yes. That is the a direct quote from The Music Man. It's in the footbridge scene. I think I need to get a hobby.

PS - Katey, everyone needs a deep and satisfying blog every once in a while. So long as all your posts are not expounding on world theories, welcome to the club.