Thursday, April 16, 2009

Book of the Week

My head is full of gardening thoughts today, as I I got tons of seeds for my garden today. Now all I need to do is actually make the plot... Anyhow, still find time to read. I never understand when people say they have no time to read-yet can sit mindlessly in front of the television for hours. You make time for what you love, and for me reading is almost as essential as breathing. Here's this week's picks:

Murder and the Monk:
Do not miss out on these! Cadfael books by Ellis Peters are great.My Grandma Redd has exquisite taste when it comes to books, she's converted me to many a good read. Cadfael is one of them. I just love a good mystery, and the books by Ellis Peters is not to be missed. Set in Medieval England during the civil war, and Cadfael (former crusader turned monk) has a talent for solving murders. The first one in the series "One Corpse Too Many" has him discover an extra body after a mass execution, leaving him to solve the perfect crime: for where is the perfect spot for a murderer to hide his crime and conceal the body? With all the other ones of course. The nice thing about this series is that while it is fun to read through it sequentially, you don't have to to enjoy the story.

Babies on Board:
"The Baby's Catalogue" by Janet and Allen Ahlberg is an all-time family favorite around our house, although I originally knew it from admist the family library when I was growing up. This is one of those books that I can happily read to my boys innumerable times (and trust me, I have). The books illustrates five babies going throughout their day, from the various breakfast, accidents and other adventures that any baby and their family can relate to. This is a simple book as there is actually no text, but the pictures tell the story, and I haven't found a kid yet who can resist the charm of this one. Ben loves to "read" the book on his own. My friend Eva liked it so much, I had to get her a copy of her own. No baby should be without this one.

Happy reading everybody!

1 comment:

Jaima said...

I love the Baby's catalogue! I have signed it out from the library many many times.