Monday, April 20, 2009

Come One! Come All! Knitters Unite!

Before moving up to Slave Lake, I used to joke that we were being sent into exile (hey, the climate has stiking similarities to that of Siberia). Once we moved up here though, it didn't take long to fall in love with our new town. However, if there is one element that makes me feel like an exile, it comes to my knitting. Just bear with me and I'll explain...
I seem to be the only knitter below fifty withing a 100 km radius (and the only other knitter I've found is over fifty). I miss my knitting group, the local yarn store and all of my knitting buddies. The only place in town with knitting supplies is Wal-Mart, where the quality and selection leaves much to be desired. Now whenever we go into town I don't just get supplies for our food storage-I have to stock up on knit storage too. I seriously need to gain some converts to the craft up here, for as A.A.Milne so eloquently put it "it's so much friendlier with two", although I'd take more than that with great pleasure.
Why the obsession with yarn you may ask? Why am I so keen to convert all and sundry to it? For your reading pleasure I supply the following reasons:
-Knitting is the perfect hobby for those of us with small kids, it's quiet (for during naptime) and doesn't take up vast quantites of space (porvided you ignore the yarn stash). There's a reason why I don't scrapbook anymore- it's because the kids get into everything, but with my knitting, my project fits neatly onto my lap.
-It can be both relaxing or intellectually stimulating, depending on your mood. I always take either a sock or a dishcloth around in my purse for playdates or at the park, because I can still watch my kids and accomplish something. For a challenge, I do sweaters or something in knit lace at home.
-Knitting is part of my weight-loss/weight-preventive plan. Knitting in the evenings keeps me from snacking (a very bad habit of mine) or from craving something to nibble when watching TV. My high school drama teacher always had elaborate sweaters that she'd made when she quit smoking.
-Customized clothes and gifts! I can make a gorgeous something or other for myself to specifically fit me. My hand-knit sweaters are longer in the torso so I don't inadvertantly expose my navel, and ask Ben about his beloved dinosaur mitts.
-Homemade items are nicer and more comfortable. No debate. Try on a pair of hand-knit socks and believe me, it's hard to go back.
-It can be a social activity which can be done beyond the confines of your home. For some reason, knitting is a great ice breaker even for non-knitters. When I go out with yarn, people inevitably come up to ask what I'm doing and usually stick around to talk. Then there's the knitting community: fellow knitter=new friend.
-It's practical. I can make stuff that keeps me and loved ones clothed and warm. It's a cool feeling.
-Knitting is just plain fun and addictive!

So...Who wants to go to the yarnstore with me?

5 comments:

The Gibb Family said...

I'm glad that you have a hobby that you like so much. I haven't tried knitting too much - but for me - it is definitely NOT a relaxing or enjoyable experience. Haha! I'm not really good at it - and I don't really have any desire to be. Maybe someday - probably not. Good thing we have you in the family to knit beautiful things for us. :)

reddy said...

Come to Calgary and we'll go to my yarn store.

Katey said...

Excellent! How's the scarf coming?

Jaima said...

I don't think I will ever knit with as much zeal as you do, but I am enjoying the legwarmers you helped me get started with. Thanks for teaching me how to cable!

Katey said...

No problem, I do approach knitting with a certain misisonary zeal! How are they coming along?