Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cookie Fever, Part Two

Today is the day I live a childhood fantasy. Or at least, I attempt it in any case. Being a lifelong sucker for fairytales, I have always wanted to make my very own house of gingerbread. There's something rather enchanting about these cookie domains, and rather abysmal about those kits that are everywhere in stores.
The problem with those grocerystore kits are twofold;
1.They are so hard and disgusting that you really shouldn't bother eating the darn things for fear of either gagging or chipping a tooth.
2.There is never, ever enough candy to bedeck the house.
My theory is that if the wicked witch had moved into a grocerystore gingerbread house, after one nibble Hansel and Gretel would have hit the road, preferring to subsist on lichen rather than take another such inedible morsel.
So today I attempt making my very own gingerbread house-from scratch. In the current version of the day dream, we decorate our little house tomorrow as a family, and love it so much we resolve to do one each and every Christmas forever more. A new family tradition is born...
It's either going to be a disaster or delight. Stay tuned folks!

2 comments:

reddy said...

I'll be checking blogs from Thailand to see how this all turns out. I am so intrigued. Making gingerbread houses from gingerbread and not from cardboard has always been something I've wanted to do with my family some day, so keep me posted and you can be my guinea pig.

Eileen Young said...

I so enjoyed making gingerbread houses from scratch at Christmas time. One year I made gingerbread girls & boys for all the grandchildren we had then. It was fun to see all of them lined up - everyone decorated a little differently. I remember the grandchildren eating them up! When I finally got older & wiser I bought a needlepoint gingerbread house from the craft store at Rosebud Theatre. It is a lovely work of art made by some grannie in Camrose.(Obviously a devotee of live theatre) And it was on sale! Every year I set it up & put on lights & enjoy it - it is appreciated by our visitors & adds to the Christmas decor. And no mess!
But it is fun to make one from scratch - so, congratulations to you kate - your boys will have pleasant memories.
Grannie