Monday, December 7, 2009

Book of (Last) Week

Dr. Seuss was right, Christmas doesn't come from a store, in fact it means a little bit more. But what? Well, what I am busily trying to impress upon my excited children is that Christmas is really about our Saviour Jesus Christ. Admist the hubbub and bustle that is the holiday season, I'm trying to take Henry B.Eyring's advice and make room this season for what it really is all about. Here's some holiday, Christ-centered reads for your consideration.

The Challenge, Part One:
So watching the church's First Presidency's Christmas Devotional last night I got an idea. I'd originally planned to list one inspiring book about the gospel each week for December, but now I have a different goal. I've determined to read all four gospels by Christmas day, all four accounts of the Saviour's ministry instead.
I've calculated that reading ten pages a day I can do it. Anyone who likes can join me in the challenge, and we can send updates through the weekly blog. Who's with me?

For the Kids, Part One:
While I adore Christmas literature, especially childrens' Christmas literature, most of them are more secular in nature. This month I'll be mentioning some of my favourite Christmas tales that have to do in some way with the Nativity story.
First I want to mention one that you really should not miss! I'm sharing this one first so you all have time to find yourselfves a copy of "This Is the Stable" by Cynthia Cotten. Telling the Nativity story simply through rhyme, this is a beautiful little book with sublime text and pictures. To read it is to love it. Here's a sample:
"This is the stable dusty and brown,
In a quiet corner of Bethlehem town.
This is the star whose light shone down
On the quiet stable, dusty and brown."

Enjoy!

No comments: