Saturday, July 11, 2009

Book of the Week

Welcome booklovers! Here's my current picks.

Serious Sass:
For those of you who do not share my love of knitting I beg your kind indulgence. I do have to share favourites from my expanding knitting book collection. There are those who laugh with disbelief when thay see I own a book titled "Stich'n Bitch Nation" (by Debbie Stoller). Like it's predessessor "Stich'n Bitch" it has been on the bestseller list, but the one I own is better. It has more patterns, fun anecdotes and is one of the best sources of explaining complicated techniques that I've ever seen (thinking cabling and adapting a pattern).
Although there are some patterns I will never make (like the bikini) there are many which I have and still long to create from this one. I've lost count of how many pairs of alligator mitts I've made from here (yet still haven't made one for myself), the psycho bunny phone cozy or the lil' devil pants for infants. On my wish list are the monster slippers that look like they escaped from the Muppet studio, the toque with bear ears, the steering wheel cover and lots more. This one ain't granny knitting!

Damsel in Distress? Where?!:
I have had my copy of Phoebe Gilman's book "The Balloon Tree" since Christmas 1986 and I treasure it still. It is falling apart, the cover is ripped and worn, but I suspect that I will never have the heart to throw this one out. It will always have a place of honour on my bookshelf because it was one of the very first books I ever read on my own, and loved with all the passion of a six-year old girl. 
Incredible as it may sound now, I had great trouble learning how to read and detested the exercise. My teachers were playing with the label of "learning disability". Knowing my love of stories, especially fairytales, my parents persevered. As a gift I received this book and I was entranced. The princess Leora (who looked about my age and even had brown hair like me!) must save the kingdom from the evil archduke when the king is out of town. The magic that unfolds is sheer balloon fun! The illustrations for this one is spectacular, and leave me wishing that I could buy them as art prints to hang in my home. Not just because they're beautiful, but because they're great fun too. Don't miss the delight that is this book.

No comments: