Saturday, October 10, 2009

Book of the Week

I don't know about the rest of you, but here up North it's a bitterly cold long weekend! This leads well into making turkey, pies, and and all those other delectables that go with Thanksgiving dinner. While everything is cooking and filling my home with marvelous smells, the inclement weather also lends itself well to burrow into blankets with a pile of good books. Consider the following for your own reading list.

Trip Down Nostalgia Lane:
I love Tasha Tudor's books, so when I discovered "The Private World of Tasha Tudor" (by Tudor and Brown) I thoroughly enjoyed a glimpse into this author's and artist's life. She is quite unique, living her life as it would have been for us all had it been in the 1830s. The book's resultant photos combined with Tudor's thoughts and musings makes for a memorable read. It's beautiful, and makes you want to duplicate some of that magic in your own home. I for one love the idea of a gingerbread castle instead of the usual cottage for Christmas!

Yearly Delights:
Seeing as I'm on a Tudor stint today, I'd better mention one of my favourites of her actual books as well. "Around the Year" is beautiful, in the usual Tasha Tudor style. Gorgeous illustrations, well-written text depicting one little family's seasonal adventures through the year. Lovely.

No comments: