Saturday, September 5, 2009

Book of the Week

There's something about fall that makes me want to do cozy things; make soup and apple pies, walk in the crunchy leaves, bask in the mellow sunshine, and most especially curl up with a good book. Here's a few for your consideration...

Meal Musings:
For those of you not yet acquainted with Laurie Colwin, you are in for a treat. She is by far my favourite food writer. She has a knack for writing about food that makes you smile in recognition, laugh, and make your mouth water. Her book "Home Cooking" is superb, and just the sort of thing for inspiration in the kitchen. Perfect for gearing up to put the BBQ away, and gear up for edible autumnal delights.

A Childhood Favourite:
I have a list (ever expanding) of chapter books that I can't wait to share with my munchkins once they're older. "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis is the top of the list. I remember my grade two teacher reading this to us and being enchanted by the story, and I've loved it ever since. Just imagine making that discovery of such a magical place, and to go on such an adventure as Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy! I have yet to meet a child who can resist this tale. Battling an evil witch, derring do, miracles and unforgettable characters make this a must read for all ages, but especially for the young. So determined was I few years back that Elena should experience the splendor of this novel that we sat down under the trees in our yard to read it, only to spend an entire summer day in the garden to finish the entire thing.

No comments: