Monday, May 4, 2009

Parenting:Commence Hyperventilating Now

Late last week I had an awful moment as a mother. On of those moments where you're convinced something truly awful will happen and your poor children will be left permanently scarred. Gather round dear readers and hear my tale of trouble...
It was on of those rare times where I was actually using the van (don't need it too much around town when it's so small). We had a bunch of errands to run, and with Brigham being my little crab, I judged that the driving would be more judicious and less of a headache. Oh the irony! Our new van is a four door, so after buckling up Briggy, Ben and I went around to buckle him up too. Great was my surprise to discover that the door was locked. The surprise turned to horror when I discovered (about a split second later) that all the doors had mysteriously locked, leaving brigham trapped inside-along with any method I might have of rescuing him on my own. Both the keys and my purse were also within the van.
Trying not to panic, Ben and I raced to the next apartment, hoping frantically that my friend Theresa was home so that I could use her phone to call Jason. She was, and on the verge of tears I called Jason to come to the rescue. Then, fearing for Brigham's safety we dashed back to the van to await Jason's arrival. He, the teacher ditched class, borrowed the secretary's car, and raced home and rescued our imprisoned son. Ironically, although his Mummy was a worried bundle of nerves, Brigham handled the entire episode quite calmly. When I got back to the van, there he was, sitting tanquilly with his hands in his lap. I'm guessing that he at least escaped the event without any emotional scarring-as for myself, not so much.
In retrospect, it could have been so much worse. The weather could have been frigid or sweltering, Theresa could've been away, or Jason's school more than the three blocks away from home that it is. But still! Did I panic perhaps a bit too much? Probably. Though I did not lose it during the entire affair I was worried sick and have felt awful about it ever since. I am a mother; therefore I worry.
Still, life goes on, except now I always keep the keys in my hands while buckling the kids up!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! Potentially scary... but I'm glad it turned out so well. I once locked the keys in the car while it was running... and had to walk 15 blocks to find Doug at school. Also, once at church a lady helpfully closed my car door for me and locked my keys and all of the Margo supplies in the car. So yes, holding your keys in your hands is a good idea!

sunkist said...

Katey
I'm so glad that it turned out well. I think we eventually all have moments like that. We have a car starter/alarm on our car, so when you turn the car on, the locks are on. Syddie was SUPER sick and I had the a/c on(it was fogging in the car). and It was raining outside, and I got both of them locked inside the car strapped into their car seats, with Syddie throwing up all over herself while I waited for CAA.....I can relate...it is a horrible feeling!!

Jason said...

Wow. It's a good thing you have such a wonderful husband. I hope you gave him a big hug.