Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Clutter's Last Stand

Obviously, I have not been keeping the blog current lately, but sadly moving will do that to ya. We are now reasonably settled into our new townhouse (if you ignore the odd boxes still stacked here and there) and Jason has received a renewed contract to teach at the high school next year. Hooray! While it's great that he gets to keep this good job, I will admit that what I'm mostly excited about is that this means we don't have to move for at least another year. Definently worth celebrating.
With all of the hubbub with moving our things into our new home, it was reinforced to me yet again just how much stuff we actually have. As I'm laboring to unpack I can't help but wonder "Why the heck do we have so much junk?!" Mind you, this move I got smart and dejunked beforehand sending at least half a dozen garbagebags to Goodwill, and that was great except we still have lots more left! One problem is that both Jason and are are packrats, but when it comes to getting rid of things I'm much more willing and ruthless. Most of the debris accumulates around Jason's desk-I filled a few boxes with it. However, as much as I would like to just purge it all when he's not looking I've learned from experience that this is not a wise policy with your husband's stuff (just ask Jason what happened to the two boxes of his Star War novels if you want the story).
The question is, how do I get rid of this clutter before is consumes the house? At least right now it is all neatly contained into boxes, but the thought of actually unpacking them makes me cringe. Jason has been lovingly informed that dealing with these little terrors is his job, but you know what they say about things being out of sight. All I can say is that if these boxes survive until our next move I plan to incinerate them in a massive bonfire. There they'll be, going up in a blaze of glory, and me, doing a celebratory victory dance around it!

5 comments:

Jason said...

Thanks for painting me in such a positive light, dear. Hugs and kisses!

Nora said...

Hate moving, LOVE bonfires :)

Jaima said...

Glad that you are in a bigger place with more space! Good for Jason. I'm sure he is a very talented and engaging teacher.

Katey said...

Let me clarify.Jason is a wonderful husband and I love him dearly-I just do not love his tendency to hoard things like a squirrel. (Mind you, I'm almost as bad.)

Eileen Young said...

C-o- n-g-r-a-t-u-l-a-t-i-o-n-s, Jason
I told you you are a born teacher. Wish I could be in your class.
Grannie