Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Little Events in Between

Well, Valentine's has come and gone yet again, and it's started me thinking. As Jason can attest to, I love an excuse to celebrate, and almost anything will do. I find these little events be it Groundhog's Day, Valentine's or whatever help to perk up the usual path of life. It adds a splash of colour to what otherwise might have been just a gray expanse of weeks going by.
After some years of my little "events" I have come to notice something: I am more fond of the little events I have created myself or with my family than some of the bona fide holidays scattered across my calender. Here's my top three:

1. Pi Day-more commonly known as March 14 (get it? It's 3.14). Celebrate by eating an abundance of pie.

2.The Frances Picnic- First, read all the Frances books by Russell Hoban to appreciate these great picturebooks. Then once it's warm enough in the spring, this marks the first real picnic of the year, with some of the delicious food mentioned in the Frances books of course. We like including fried chicken in ours.

3. Talk Like A Pirate Day- celebrated on September 17 (which, coincidentally is my due date). It's where you get in touch with your inner pirate. You can talk like one, and the munchkins and I choose to dress like one too! Find a bunch of good pirate books to read from the library, hold the skull and crossbones high, eat a good piratey dinner (no cutlery allowed) and "ARRRRRRR!" to your heart's content.

1 comment:

Nora said...

I love the random and homemade holidays too. Pi Day is one of my favorites :)